Monday, June 11, 2012

Switch: ON

I was walking through Kohl’s today (strolling, really) when I glanced to my left and saw a Weight Watchers member shopping. I see a lot of our members out and about, and I often just let them be so they don’t think I am stalking them. As I walked on by, I heard “Excuse me!” and when I turned around, she asked, “Are you the Weight Watchers lady?” She was happy to see me and could not wait to tell me how pleased she was with her progress on the program. She had lost nearly 25 pounds, she told me, and was looking forward to that next  25 pounds so she could get to her goal. She tugged at her pants and said, “I just bought these and they are already too big!”  Her switch was obviously “ON.”

The best part, she told me, was that a gal who worked with her had noticed and was excited about joining her at the meetings. My talkative member went on to say that she had told her friend about members who attend the meetings  and had lost over 100 pounds (the same circumstances her friend would be starting with.) Her excitement was so obvious that I noticed other shoppers giving us a glance as they passed us by.

After she had left me, I thought about that enthusiasm and it seems to reinforce something another member, Toni, told me a few years ago: the switch has to be in the ON position!

When Toni had become a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, I had asked her, “What makes it work for you?” Her thoughtful answer was:

“It’s like there is a light switch inside your head,” she said. “It is either switched ‘on’ or it is ‘off’.  I finally realized, after years of watching my weight go up and down, that I was the one who had to turn the switch on and make sure it stayed on!”

Too bad the switch is not equipped with a motion detector – wouldn’t it be nice if it went on automatically as we approached the refrigerator, the buffet line, or the bar!  

Maybe just knowing that we have it and can use it is inspiration enough! Have you looked lately? Is the switch….. ON?






No comments:

Post a Comment