Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Garbage Can!

EXPERIMENT: Pick up something to eat... pause as you get it to your mouth... think about what you are putting in there... is it worthy?

It's a funny thing about the food we eat -- as soon as we get it chewed and swallowed, we forget about it... until it's time to track it... and even then, we rationalize it. But do we ever ANALYZE it after the fact?

Have ever caught yourself  "cleaning a plate" by eating it instead of scraping it into the garbage? Or picking up a piece of candy just because it is in the bowl as you walk by? Taking the potato salad or macaroni salad on the pot luck buffet just because Aunt Alice made it 'just for you?' Or stalking the perfect 'snack' at night, foraging and bypassing healthy foods for just the right thing to relieve your craving?

EVALUATION:  Let's start looking at the quality of our food, and that might just help the quantity!

3 comments:

  1. I like reading your posts but it looks like you haven't done any for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brenda, I needed the reminder! See you soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this thought so many times in my life. I remember after reading this how I used to say that out loud to myself when my kids were in highchairs and I was cleaning up their plates. (30 yrs ago!) Now I remind myself again as I take on my new job at one of the Senior Meal Sites. I make sure everyone takes leftovers and if there are extras, I have to ask myself if they are worthy of my goal.

    I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. :)

    Thank you, Becky. :)

    Kim/Viroqua

    ReplyDelete